1. We must do Nitnem regularly everyday. Nitnem is a Sikh heritage as well as wealth and property. It is the religious duty of every Amritdari Sikh to recite, at least five banis in the early hours of the morning. The five Banis are:
Anand Sahib .
The Bani to be recited in the evening is the Rehraas Sahib.The Bani to be recited before going to bed is the Kirtan Sohila.We should go to the Gurudwara after performing our morning prayers.
2. Naam Japna is every human being most important religious duty.
[Of all the religions, the best religion is to repeat the name of the lord, and this is the most pious deed.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 266)]
3. Naam Japna should be done with full faith and in God’s presence as it generates shakti or power runs the crores of sun, moons, universe, planets and all creation.
[By Naam Simran there is light of millions of suns, and the darkness of superstition disappears.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji700)]
4. The method or way of Naam Simran : It should be done with full faith that God is ever present and is listening to your prayers. First, it should be performed with your lips and tongue moving slowly and saying: Waheguru. The next satge is to repeat it by superthought in the mind . The third stage is to repeat by way of breathing: take one inward breath saying Wahe and in the outward breath, Guru.
When Simran is performed in this way, after sometime, you will reach the fourth stage, or Sahaj State, in which your super thought and the shabad become merged into one.in the foregoing stages of Naam Simran, the most important thing to bear in mind is to do it in the presence of the lord and remembering that He is present at all times and is listening to your prayers.
[ Meditate on the image of the guru within your mind; let your mind accept the world of the Guru's shabad, and His Mantra. Enshrine the Guru's feet within your heart.Bow in humility forever before the Guru, the supreme Lord God.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 964)
5. Ridhis and Sidhis are nothing. Immortality is far far away from these things.
[Riches and the supernatural spiritual powers of the Siddhas are all emotional attachments; through them, the Naam does not come to dwell in the mind.Riches and miracles are all worldly attachments and, hence, the Name does not abide in the mind.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji 593)]
[If man eats up the uneatable then he becomes the perfect person, and through perfection he attains wisdom. When the arrow of the Lord's affection strikes the body then alone is doubt dispelled.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji 607)]
6. Without Sewa, we cannot become humble.
[One who performs selfless service, without thought of reward, shall attain his lord.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji 552)]
7. Rising above the three gunas: the Tamo, Rajo and Satto, one reaches trikuti and achieves the turiya state. When one’s birti or super-thought reaches the Formless Lord, it is known as the opening of the tenth door
[When the knot of the three qualities is untied, then the Tenth Gate opens up, and the mind is intoxicated, O Brother.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji 1123)]
8. [The Shabad is the guru, upon whom I lovingly focus my consciousness; I am the chaylaa, the disciple.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji 943)]
From the above, it is very clear that, from the beginning to the end, Shabad is the Guru. The human body has never been a Guru and never shall be. For this reason, to pray and to bow down before a human body thinking it to be the Guru is very wrong indeed.
[The word, the Bani is Guru, and Guru is the Bani. Within the Bani, the Ambrosial Nectar is contained.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 982)]
[Waaho! Waaho! is the Bani, the word, of the Formless Lord. There is no other as great as He is.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji 515)]
9. All Jantra, Tantra are nothing before Gurbani.
[He who hears and utters the Lord's praises, his calamities are warded off, Nanak utters the supremely sublime Gurbani and signs the Lord's praise.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 814)]
[That humble being who chants the Lord's Name, remains always awake and aware, night and day. He is not affected by charms and spells, nor is he harmed by the evil eye.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 817)]
10. The meaning of Panth is: the Guru’s way of life. Quantity does not mean Panth.Those who follow the path of the Tenth Guru, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji, they are the Panth.
[(With your feet, walk in the way of the Lord. Sins are washed away by chanting the Lord's Name, even for a moment.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 281)]
11. In the presence of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, no appeal should be made for money. If all the Guru’s Sikhs take out their daswand (one-tenth of the honestly earned wealth) there would be no shartage of funds for all Guru’s works, like Gurmat parchaar etc.
[He who eats what he earns through his earnest labour and gives something in charity, he alone, O' Nanak, knows the true way of life.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 1245)]
12. Ardaas and Benti should be always short.
[He knows everything, without being told; unto whom should we offer our prayers? O Nanak, the one Lord is prevading and permeating each and every heart; the word of the Shabad brings illumination.( Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji 1420)]
Sant Ji also used to say that during ardaas, to take out a naked sword in Guru Ji’s presence is tantamount to showing disrespect to the Guru Ji. With folded hands one should do ardaas before the Lord of the two worlds (the material and the spiritual).
13. With one ‘s tongue and lips one should utter the Lord’s praises. One should not talk bad about others with the same tongue and lips; neither should one curse anybody.
[ The tongue which does not chant the Naam ought to be cut out,bit by bit.(Sri Guru Granth Ji 1362)]
14. It is doing a great presence to withstand the good or bad when somebody speaks well or speak ill about one.
[I have burnt in the fire the clever devices and praises of the world. Whether someone speaks well or speak bad of me, I have surrendered by body unto Thee.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 528)]
15. Religious duties are duties by which one achieves the sahej or Fourth State or Immortality
[ Of all the religions, the best religion is to repeat God's Name, and this is the most pious deed.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 266)]
16. People would get together and love each other only when they become attached to Gurbani and Kirtan:
[ I have totally forgotten my jealousy of others, since I found the Saadh Sangat, the company of the Holy. No one is my enemy, and no one is a stranger, and I am a friend of all.(Sri Guru Granth Ji 1299)]
17. One who feels like giving a lecture should refrain from doing so. But one who does not desire to give a lecture should do so. For one who like to give a lecture,he does so to feed his ego and cleverness.But one who is not inclined to lecture, the Lord himself comes to his assistance and swords will come forth from his inner soul.
[What use is chanting, and what use is penance, fasting or devotional worship, to one whose heart is filled with the love of duality?O humble people, link your mind to the Lord.Through cleverness, the four-armed Lord is not obtained]
[Set aside your greed and worldly ways.Set aside sexual desire, anger and egotism.Ritual practices bind people in egotism;meeting together,they worship stones.Says Kabeer,He is obtained only by devotional worship. Through innocent love, the lord is met.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 324)]
18. Peace will only come when every human being awakes in the early hours of dawn(Amritvela), takes a bath to freshen his body and gets attached to Gurbani and Kirtan.
19. The wall of illusion is not destroyed until the pride and love for the body is not broken.Then and only then, can one attain immortal life.
[O Holy Saints, know that this body is false.The Lord who dwells within it - recognize that He alone is real.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 1186)]
20. As long as love for the creation is not broken, until then shall one not get attached to the Formless Lord and become one with Him.
[All that is visible is an illusion.I beg for this one gift, for the dust of the feet of the Saints, O Lord of the Universe.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 1083)]
[This world is just a mountain of smoke. What makes you think that it is real ?....(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 1186)]
21. Gursikhi is to live in the Will of the Lord, and to obey His order. Whatever the Lord says is right. To live in the Will of God leads one to all happiness.
[He alone is a Sikh, a friend, a relative and a brother,who walks in Guru Ji`s Will.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 601)]
[By obeying His command, man become acceptable and then obtain the Master`s mansion.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 471)]
[O Nanak, it is written that you shall obey His Command, and walk in the Way of His Will.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 1)]
[They know the past and present and recognize the Order of his Lord.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 286)]
22. In the presence of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, discussing any subject which might lead to a quarrel should not be allowed.
[To speak too much and babble is useless. Even without our speaking, He knows everything.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 661)]
23. We should always reach the Gurudwara in time, be it raining or in violent storm.
[Even in violent storms and torrential rain, I go out to catch a glimpse of my Guru.Even though the oceans and the salty seas are very vast, the Gursikh will cross over it to get to his Guru.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 757)]
24. When the Langar(Guru Ji`s kitchen) becomes common, then there will be peace and the country will become a place of happiness.
[All share in Your Grace; Thou art seen as alien to none.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 97)]
25. When serving food from the Guru`s kitchen to the Sangat it should be done with profound faith and love, and Naam Simran should be practiced while serving and no shortage of food will ever result.
[The mortal does not run out of capital, as long as the Lord Himself is merciful.Inexhaustible is the treasure of the Lord of Sire Nanak, this wealth and capital never runs out, no matter how much it is spent and consumed.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 1426)].
26. Death turns this human body into ash. As long as the time has not arrived and the human being has not completed his life-span on earth, so long will Kaal ensure the protection of the human body.
***** To get new exciting stuff about Sikhi, please enter your email below *****